Last weekend of April! Visions of pools and sunshine and long summer days are starting to look like more of a future reality than a mere pipe dream. Have you all started to plan out your summers yet? Do you like to stick close to home or fill your days with camps and outings and vacations? We're in the middle of house hunting and a big part of me wants a pool because I'm definitely more of a home body. Also I'm 30 weeks pregnant and Texas summers are hot and heavy - a lethargy-inducing combo. The idea of lounging pool side all summer is obsessing me almost as much my craving for chocolate.
We've got a bunch of great links this week so grab your coffee, tea, or whatever you drink to kick off your Saturday and join us!
- Don't know what your plans are this weekend but make this movie part of it! Sure it has some plot gaps but it is 1.5 hours of intense thrill with a lot of moving, beautiful scenes scattered throughout.
- Or if an hour and a half of intensity isn't your thing, just watch this 2 minute skit for some laughs Mitchell & Webb just don't get old!
- I can't believe this man! The extent of physical endurance is incredible. Surely I can get off the couch this weekend and run a mere three miles ...
- Physical achievements weren't the only outstanding elements of the Winter Olympics. Read about this material that seems to defy physics.
- If you're currently wondering where to summer vacation, check out this list. We used to spend a few weeks each summer in the White Mountains when we were kids and we all have amazing memories from it.
- Wedding makeup, or the lack thereof. Sophie went minimal with just mascara and a swipe of color on the lips and she felt very comfortable and unrestricted. What do you think? On the one hand it seems confident and attractive to ignore the high standards of beauty and cometics but on the other hand make-up can be fun!
- We just went foraging for dewberries and came out with three pints! Free food! Are any of these berries in a park or field near you? (The White Mountains had mountain blueberries and I can remember collecting bags and bags of them and having wild blueberry pie.)
- If you have access to an abundance of violets, maybe try candied violets or violet syrup!
- I just read this (finally, in my fourth pregnancy) and found it at once relieving and empowering. I've always gotten the feeling that I and other pregnant women are just shuffled through the system like unthinking, over-worrying sheep who can't formulate their own opinions due to lack of education or research or clear thinking. It's almost as if pregnancy gets treated as a strange, unusual medical condition when it's actually one of the most natural things our bodies do.
- Speaking of pregnancy, I promise you, this combo works and not just for pregnant women with weird cravings.
- This salad looks like all the cool and fresh that we'll be wanting this summer.
- This cake mmmmmmmmmmm