This week we celebrated one year in Houston. So much has happened for my family in this past year. New home town, new baby, first year homeschooling, first home purchase. Sometimes I get this uncomfortable feeling that it's all passing too quickly to take it all in. I blink and a whole year has passed, our family has grown by one, my oldest is almost 8. Did I spend most of this year complaining about pregnancy? Probably. Have I slowed down enough to really enjoy the newness of my new born? Probably not. One of my greatest fears is that my oldest will be on his way to college when I realize I always lumped all the children together instead of getting to know them as individuals; or that I spent too much time being exasperated by their shenanigans to be enamored of their personalities.
Oh, hi, sorry, am I unloading here?
It's weird how anniversaries affect us, how the passage of time is always a bit bewildering. Days drag but years fly. How to speed up the drudgery of the day while slowing down the beautiful moments of life? Or maybe the better question is, how to turn even the drudgery into something beautiful?
While I chew on this, you grab your coffee and some breakfast and join us for some links!
- Did you have chores when you were a kid? Do you make your kids do chores? Chores are good for our kids. "They're not just chores - they're life skills"
- Should you dress up for a plane ride? Maybe I used to, a long time ago, before I traveled with kids.
- What is even happening in this world?? “To know that women are going to be comparing themselves to women who . . . are literally inhuman strikes me as some kind of joke that isn’t very funny.”
- Unique home libraries. A morning dose of home envy. I love Casa Varanda!
- Optical illusions, always entertaining.
- School may have started but the summer heat didn't get the memo. Cool off with some of these delicious (and easy!) fudgsicles.
- Maybe we'll postpone starting school for an ice cream road trip. Or just turn every drive anywhere into one.
- If you need quick weeknight dinners, like Mediterranean, and live near a Trader Joe's, try their falafel mix. I LOVE it.
- And then make this Tres Leches cake because it is bonkers.