This salad is a delight. It's so fresh and flavorful and the perfect accompaniment to barbecue, spicy Mexican, or any lighter spring/summer meal. Fresh sweet corn contrasts with salty feta and the zing of the lime bounces around in your mouth with the herby cool of cilantro. The fresh zucchini gets softened by the vinaigrette but keeps a pleasantly firm texture which it otherwise loses when cooked.
As with so many of my favorite dishes, this one is highly adaptable to the meal it's being served with. Swap out the lime juice for lemon and parsley for cilantro, or use a milder red or white wine vinegar and basil and mint. You can serve this as is or on a bed of greens for a little nutritional boost.
Fresh zucchini corn salad with lime, feta, and cilantro
Serves about 6
- 3-4 ears corn, shucked
- 4 zucchini (or two zucchini, two summer squash)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp white wine vingar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (about 1/2 cup chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Blanch the corn in boiling water for 3 minutes or until crisp tender. Let cool. Cut off kernels from cob.
- Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, shave the zucchini (and summer squash) lengthwise into ribbons.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk (or shake) together the garlic, lime juice, vinegar, olive oil and salt.
- Toss together the ribboned zucchini, corn kernels, vinaigrette, cilantro, and feta. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from epicurious.com